Courses | Writing and Editing | Fees
I am a freelance writer, editor and teacher of creative writing and painting. I have finished a non-fiction book, State of the Heart, about the journey to India for my partnerís heart surgery. It was published in 2007 by New Harbinger Publishing Company.
Click here for a sample short story
Click here for a poem sample
I teach creative writing and painting to children and adults of all ages and all abilities, including those with special needs. An opportunity to be creative is valueable not only in classrooms, but also in retirement homes, at conferences, for women's groups, in summer camps, shelters, prisons, group homes and in the workplace.
Maggi on the Wacqueline Stern Show
on WCOM 103.5 FM
|I can tailor a program specifically for your group.|
(Click on "Courses" for a list of upcoming classes and workshops.)
I offer critiques of your own work, or can help you create new written copy
for press releases, ads, marketing materials, feature stories, or your
(Click on "Writing and Editing")
I am grateful for the support of Frame Warehouse in Durham.
Maggi sometimes offers private classes. For more info email firstname.lastname@example.org.
WRITING & EDITING
- Research topics, interview people and write original copy for letters, brochures, websites, employment ads, grant proposals, books; and/or edit existing text.
- Critique of poetry manuscripts, short and long fiction, and nonfiction on a per page basis. Please inquire about rates for one-on-one critique of your specific writing project.
Who Uses My Services?
- a woman starting an internet business at home;
- a small architectural firm;
- an artist needing an Artist's Statement written;
- a university whose brochure needed a face lift;
- a gallery owner needing press releases written and sent on schedule;
- a statewide non-profit hoping to increase their networking potential by creating a website;
- a writer needing more research, or just an unbiased pair of eyes to critique their work;
- a stalled staff or work group who could use a fun, creative workshop to jump-start their team effort and personal motivation on the job.
Have you ever said, ďI should write these things down!Ē
Your life is unique, your experiences are of great interest to your family and friends. A written record of them will be priceless to your grandchildren and great grandchildren when they grow up. But often, just the idea of writing about our own life is a daunting task. Itís overwhelming. Where do you start? Do you have to go in chronological order? What if you canít remember some things?
Not to worry. I am a professional writer living in Carrboro. I will help you tease out the hidden gems of your life Ė those quirky tales that make your grandchildren laugh, or still can bring tears to your eyes. You do not need to physically write one single word if you donít want to Ė Iíll do the writing! All you need is a genuine desire to get some of these stories down on paper. You will undoubtedly be surprised at all you do remember, once we get started. Together, we will create some lasting memory of your story -- maybe the beginning of a memoir, or a story, or even some poems. Donít worry about the end result.
My services are custom-designed to fit your ideas and your schedule. I will come to you, and we can work together for one hour, or for one year. You decide how long we meet and when we are finished. You are in charge. This is your story. Letís get started!
I will contract by the hour or by the project.
Will work for two hours or two months.
Contact me to discuss your ideas.
References and complete resume available upon request.